Friday, July 3, 2009

A Visit to the Vet

Recently, we had to take Meme to the vet because he'd been having a lot of eye discharge (eye boogers!) and I was concerned that something could be wrong. His eyes had been acting like that for a few weeks, so Rob and I decided that it was time to get it looked at - just to make sure everything was normal. Of course, the day we finally got into see the vet, his eyes weren't doing any of the things we'd been seeing.. So, we had to put Meme in his little crate, and he didn't seem to mind too much, but he wouldn't really look at us!

Once we got to the vet, we checked in and waited.. We were then shown into our room, and the vet assistant came in to get everything ready for the vet to come in. We explained what symptoms we had been seeing, and we took Meme out of his crate. He was put on a small cold, metal table, and at first he seemed to be doing ok. Then, he started shaking, as if he was either scared or cold. So, in the event that he was cold, I asked the vet tech if I could get one of the towels we had in our crate and put it down on the table so Meme wouldn't be so cold.. The guy kind of chuckled, but said sure. At this point, the vet tech says something along the lines of.. 'So, your cats must be like your kids at home, huh?' To which I said -- Is it that obvious?? Oh yeah, I was like an overprotective mother -- for my cat. But, you must understand that we got Meme when he was a little tiny baby, so we've had that mother/son relationship building from when we first got him. I love our other two cats, but we got them when they were older so there's not quite the connection that Meme and I have..

So, they had to take Meme's temperature and not the fun way, so I think that made him not so happy (I wouldn't have been happy either..). So, the vet tech leaves, and says the vet will be coming in just a few minutes. While we are waiting, I'm trying to soothe my poor kitty who is obviously nervous... And then what does Meme do? Take a swipe at me! Then he started growling.. So when the vet finally does come in, I'm like -- Um, I would be a little careful because he's not very happy. The vet looks him over, says he's fine.. And since he is fine we can give him his next round of shots. Ok. Great. So the vet tech goes and gets everything ready, and come back in ready to give Meme his shots. With us in there! Aaah!! I look at Rob and am thinking - are they really going to let (or MAKE us!) be in here when they give him these shots!? My hand reaches for the door, and I say that I'm not sure I can stay in the room. But, they don't really care about me, so they get started with the shots. The first two were pretty easy/normal shots, but the third one was not. The third shot was different because it did not use a needle, but used a forceful push into his body -- they did this because there was a big dose . Let me just say.. it sounded like a shotgun! So needless to say, as soon as it went off and into Meme's little body, all the claws were out as big as I've ever seen them and he made a very loud roar! (Or as Rob and I like to spell it -- RWAR!) Not happy.

We paid, came home and opened the door to let Meme out and he did not move. He did not want to come out and when the other cats walked by or even got near him - you heard a hiss or a growl. After about a day of adjusting and recovering from the shots, things were back to normal - thank goodness! Let's just hope we don't go back to the vet anytime soon! (However..don't tell the cats, but, we're pretty sure they're going to be getting their front claws taken out.. I'm pretty sure we're going to have three cats who hate us by the end of this year...)

1 comment:

  1. They will always love you, but they'll be mad for a while, and hurt, and I'll cry for them, so don't tell me when you do it. Though I do understand - look at (what Used to be) my beautiful leather couch. If only they would understand what not to shred...

    ReplyDelete