Thursday, July 9, 2009

GREat day!

Yep. Today was the big test day - the GRE day!

It's interesting because the test I took was completely on the computer. The first parts were analytical writings - one analyze the argument (30 minutes) and one present your perspective on an issue (45 minutes). Then I got a 10 minute break, and came back to complete my test which was math and verbal. The most interesting thing about it being on the computer is that depending on if you get a question right or wrong, the computer will give you an easier or harder question. In the two study books that I used, they said the first 5 questions were the ones to focus on because if you got those right, your score would automatically jump up quickly. MUCH different than a paper exam, I would say! Anyways, when I was finished, I had the option to cancel my scores without knowing how I did, or I could submit those scores to schools! Scary! But, I did submit them and I was told what my score on the verbal and math were.. To share or not to share.. I ended up getting a 1010, which is well over what I needed to get into grad school at Sam Houston, so I'm happy. (Although if I ever have to take the test again, I know that I'll be focusing more on verbal!)

It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, even with all the studying I was able to get in beforehand, I feel like I should have studied more! I think I did alright, but like I said before, I wish I would have studied more but especially for the verbal part. The whole time I was completing that part, I felt really rushed and like I didn't have a lot of time. Math went surprisingly well - of course there were a couple of questions that were too hard... but.. not much I can do about that!

But, it's over! :) So now I just have to figure out what to do with my life! On Tuesday, I met with my advisor who told me that the route I was wanting to take is not going to be an option. What that means is that I am not going to be able to get my masters with a focus on elementary education. :( Bummer. But, they do have an option for me to have my focus be in French, and I already have a lot done for that route (I've taken all my state exams and don't have to take them again). So.. if I take classes this year, and then can get a French job next year - after that first year of teaching I will get my teaching certificate. After I have a year of teaching behind me as well as my certificate it should be fairly easy to take the tests needed to be an elementary school teacher and hopefully get a job. OR, I could find somewhere else to go for my masters; another school that would allow me to get my master's in elementary ed. So there's a lot to think about, and important choices that need to be made.. Good thing that GRE is out of the way so I can think a little clearer!

No comments:

Post a Comment