Saturday, September 26, 2009

Special all around!

This past Thursday, September 24th was a special day for a few reasons. First of all, it marks my Aunt Colette & Uncle Bill's 26th wedding anniversary! It is interesting to note that they got married 26 years ago - which would make the year 1983. That, my friends, was the same year I was born, and only 3 months after their marriage. So it is really easy for me to remember how long they have been married because of how old I am! :) Lucky for me they got married when they did - otherwise they might not have been my godparents!

On this same day, Rob and I were invited to the Contemporary Handweavers of Houston (CHH) Annual Sale. My aunt, amoung many others, are members of this group and had items in the sale. So Rob and I wanted to attend in order to support those members (especially my aunt!) as well as share in their anniversary! So, we went downtown to go to the sale and there were so many neat things up for grabs! We ended up buying mainly from family, but there were a couple of other neat things we bought too.

Here are a few of the things we bought!


This is a purse made and painted by Caryn (my Aunt Colette's sister). It is a "Green" Bag as it is made from recycled and fused Target shopping bags. It was handwoven with hand felted embellishments. It is absolutely adorable!


This is as it looks -- a pumpkin on a stand. This item was made by Aunt Colette. The pumpkin was hand felted, wool fiber fill, and then the metal stand. There are also sparkling pieces on the leaves and top of the pumpkin that really make this piece stand out! We are excited to have this piece just in time for the season and holiday!


This is another hand made felt piece made by Aunt Colette. The bottom of it has an antique clip which can hook onto say, a Christmas tree..!

This last piece we purchased was made by D.D. Woodbury. Before the sale started, Aunt Colette told me all about this item - and said that it should be the first thing I look for. This is a handwoven dove made from silk. D.D. had a little fabric left from making her daughter's wedding dress and used it to create this. I even had the pleasure of meeting D.D. during the sale which was really neat. Let me just say that everyone who saw this in my basket was sad that they were not one of the first people in line because they wanted it!

No comments:

Post a Comment